Consumers should be at the heart of transforming the UK energy system to meet carbon reduction targets and achieve our clean growth ambitions.
Energy Systems Catapult offers a range of Consumer Insight assets and expertise that combines cutting-edge data science, user-experience design thinking and in-depth consumer research to help innovators see beyond what people say and understand what they do.
We help energy innovators to accelerate products, services and business models to market with research, design and consumer trials in real-world homes.
The Challenge and Opportunity
Transforming the UK energy system to be clean, secure and affordable, requires innovators to develop appealing energy products and services that consumer are willing to purchase.
Few energy consumers understand or can accurately explain how they use energy in their everyday lives. Even people who want the same outcomes from energy, like getting warm and comfortable at home, or charging their car to be ready for work the following day, may go about it in entirely different ways.
Lack of consumer insight is already challenging the energy sector. The forces of decarbonisation, digitalisation and decentralisation, will further challenge innovators to put consumers at the heart of their product and service development.
Energy Systems Catapult’s Consumer Insight team has distilled the lessons from over 670 academic publications on energy behaviour, thermal comfort and decision science, and developed three assets to help innovators: research, design and trial innovations in real-world homes.
Our Digital Design asset provides an in-house team to help innovators develop testable prototypes, including:
- User experience (UX) design for consumer experiences that are intuitive to learn and delightful to use;
- Service design to set up the systems and processes to deliver service excellence; and
- Business model tools to optimise the commercial logic.
Energy Systems Catapult’s Consumer Insight team work with innovators to accelerate products, services and business models to market, by offering expertise to help:
- Understand how home life shapes energy use;
- Segment consumers to understand what range of products and services will appeal;
- Design energy products and services that add value to people’s lives;
- Test business models in the real-world;
- Gather compelling consumer data that helps inform investors, policy-makers and regulators.
You can access our Consumer Insight expertise via our Innovator Support Platform, through Bid Opportunities or directly with the Consumer Insight team.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com