Consumers should be at the heart of transforming the UK energy system to meet carbon reduction targets and achieve our clean growth ambitions.
Energy Systems Catapult offers a range of Consumer Insight assets and expertise that combines cutting-edge data science, user-experience design thinking and in-depth consumer research to help innovators see beyond what people say and understand what they do.
We help energy innovators to accelerate products, services and business models to market with research, design and consumer trials in real-world homes.
Transforming the UK energy system to be clean, secure and affordable, requires innovators to develop appealing energy products and services that consumers are willing to purchase.
Few energy consumers understand or can accurately explain how they use energy in their everyday lives. Even people who want the same outcomes from energy, like getting warm and comfortable at home, or charging their car to be ready for work the following day, may go about it in entirely different ways.
Lack of consumer insight is already challenging the energy sector. The forces of decarbonisation, digitalisation and decentralisation, will further challenge innovators to put consumers at the heart of their product and service development.
Energy Systems Catapult’s Consumer Insight team has distilled the lessons from over 670 academic publications on energy behaviour, thermal comfort and decision science, and developed three assets to help innovators: research, design and trial innovations in real-world homes.
Our Research asset provides bespoke blends of qualitative and quantitative market research to deliver a wealth of consumer data and segmentation work, including:
- Feedback from our Home Truths panel, including thousands of consumers and growing;
- Co-creation of products and service propositions; and
- Multi-client studies co-funded by innovators with shared interests.
Energy Systems Catapult’s Consumer Insight team work with innovators to accelerate products, services and business models to market, by offering expertise to help:
- Understand how home life shapes energy use;
- Segment consumers to understand what range of products and services will appeal;
- Design energy products and services that add value to people’s lives;
- Test business models in the real-world;
- Gather compelling consumer data that helps inform investors, policy-makers and regulators.
You can access our Consumer Insight expertise via the Energy Launchpad or directly getting in touch with the Consumer Insight team.