The Storage and Flexibility Model (SFM) provides the most comprehensive view to date on how storage and flexibility technologies could help the UK decarbonise at least cost.
Energy Systems Catapult built the SFM in response to the increasingly complex challenge of balancing supply and demand in the energy system.
The Challenge And Opportunity
Without a deeper understanding of how storage and flexibility technologies could help in balancing energy networks, we will at best end up with a system that costs more than it needs to and at worst one that fails to manage supply and demand.
Storage technologies, such as hot water tanks and batteries, are predicted to become a more integral part of the future energy system. As demand for electricity is expected to see a big rise, these technologies will help ensure networks can cope and allow homes and businesses to avoid peak times when energy is more expensive.
To tackle this challenge and address a collective lack of knowledge about the extent of the role storage and flexibility could play in the future, the SFM was designed to provide the clearest ever picture of how these technologies could assist as we move towards a net-zero.
Our Storage and Flexibility Model casts a spotlight on the role of storage and other means of providing flexibility in a user-specified future energy system.
Key benefits include:
- Capability to represent multiple vectors, network levels, geographic regions and timeframes; including sub-hourly system services.
- Discover new insights applicable to many use-cases including long-term capacity planning, assessing the value of specific storage technologies, and identifying the system service requirements of future energy systems.
- Ability to represent long term strategic and short term operational uncertainties.
- Complementary to the Energy System Modelling Environment (ESME) which provides less detail relating to storage but more expeditiously explores the rest of the energy system.
The Networks and Energy Storage team can help businesses:
- Understand potential value of energy storage innovations to Net Zero energy systems using our modelling tools
- Frame business models and service propositions to maximise storage value to investors
- Understand how different energy systems could impact upon your role and deployment strategy