Transforming the UK energy system to meet carbon reduction targets and achieve our clean growth ambitions, requires informed choices relating to technology development and deployment, investment decision-making, and market and policy development.
Energy Systems Catapult offers technical expertise and insights on Nuclear energy from a whole system perspective.
Our Infrastructure and Engineering team has deep specialist knowledge and practical experience in technology development and deployment that considers the technological, engineering, economic, regulatory and policy implications for innovations and investment decisions.
The Challenge and Opportunity
Transforming the UK energy system to be clean, secure and affordable, requires innovation across the whole system from generation, transmission and distribution, to supply and consumption.
Whole System transformation will require:
- A detailed understanding of the constituent parts of the energy system and the new technologies that can be deployed;
- Increased interaction and integration between the different constituent parts of the system;
- New services and value streams using multiple energy-vectors (electricity, heat, gas, hydrogen, etc); and
- The market and policy frameworks to enable the low carbon transition.
The challenge is understanding how technology, market and policy solutions might contribute to the delivery of a clean, secure and affordable energy system, and what actions need to be taken to drive new innovations through to commercial reality.
The Infrastructure and Engineering team offers technical expertise and insights on Nuclear energy from a whole systems perspective:
- Nuclear – assessing the potential of nuclear, contemporary designs and new technologies. Coupled with unique modelling on infrastructure costs, the interaction of nuclear with heat needs and flexible power generation to complement intermittent renewables. Identification of schedule and risk containment strategies to deliver cost reduction and financeable projects.
Energy Systems Catapult offers a broad mix of specialist knowledge, supported by a range of analytical capability, bespoke tools, technical insights and energy system data that can inform choices relating to technology development and deployment, investment decision-making, and market and policy development.
Our credibility comes from our independence, the quality of our work, and the reputation we have built over the last ten years within the Catapult and formerly at the Energy Technologies Institute (ETI).
We provide evidence-based guidance to the UK innovation community to help maximise the value of:
- Innovation assessments for new technologies such as performance and cost characteristics;
- Technical due-diligence;
- Innovation management capability to support the progression of technologies towards commercialisation;
- Providing advice on market positioning;
- Partnering options.