Westminster Energy, Environment & Transport Forum: Developing smart electricity networks in the UK – innovation, policy and regulation, and decarbonising the grid
Energy Systems Catapult’s Head of Markets, Policy and Regulation (MPR), George Day is delivering a keynote address at the Westminster Energy, Environment & Transport Forum: Developing smart electricity networks in the UK – innovation, policy and regulation, and decarbonising the grid conference, on 9th June 2020.
The conference is focussed on taking a more detailed look and engaging discussion around the challenges, key priorities and innovation opportunities around the development of smart electricity networks.
George will be presenting a keynote entitled ‘Priorities for developing smart electricity networks – digitisation, infrastructure modernisation, and reducing barriers to entry’, drawing on MPR’s ‘Rethinking Electricity Markets’ initiative, whilst Ben Eyre-White, Head of Networks, Systems and Interconnection, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, will also be delivering a keynote.
Wider sessions during the course of the day will focus on:
- Next steps for smart electricity markets – delivering smart tariffs, consumer benefits, and supporting competition
- Innovation in grid operations and utilising digital technology – research, AI, and designing smart energy platforms
- Establishing a System Operator model fit for achieving net-zero emissions – flexibility, smart technology, and keeping costs low for consumers
- Delivering whole-system change, and making the energy system smarter and more efficient
- Integrating distributed assets and opportunities for decarbonising energy supply and the
- Creating a regulatory framework for smart electricity – code reform, balancing networks, and supporting smart services
- Policy priorities for developing smart electricity networks in the UK – measures achieved so far and steps for addressing remaining objectives
This event is taking place remotely via online channels. To sign up or find out more about the event, visit the Westminster Energy, Environment & Transport Forum event page or find out more about the Catapult’s Markets, Policy and Regulation capability.