The Energy Systems Catapult (ESC) works across the whole energy sector, including power, heat, transport, industry and energy infrastructure, taking an approach that informs skills, assets and capabilities with the energy customer at its heart.
Only by applying whole systems approaches can the UK successfully deliver the transformation of its energy system, meeting its legislated carbon reduction targets while ensuring affordability, sustainability and security of supply.
The Whole Systems Analysis Function (WSAF) identifies and accelerates innovations that address whole energy system needs and open up related markets to enable the UK to be a global leader. The programme is:
- building the whole systems analysis capability required to identify relevant opportunities, the Strategic Analysis Function (SAF) – a team of highly experienced and recognised modellers and analysts built by the Energy Technologies Institute (ETI) over a 10-year period transferred to the ESC in September 2017. They are supported by sector leading tools developed at the ETI, such as the Energy System Modelling Environment (ESME)
- supporting the development of whole systems analysis in energy as a discipline through investing in research and development in partnership with the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and universities throughout the UK
- working with decision makers to increase awareness of the importance of whole systems thinking through programmes such as its Whole Energy Systems Methodology project
- developing expertise and tools to support the energy community in prioritising and building consensus regarding energy innovation opportunities
- collaborating with industry to get innovations more quickly from prototype to marketplace
- learning from and transferring international best practice into the UK energy system to accelerate its transition eg; through its role in the Energy Transitions Commission
- delivering strategic projects that meet its mission such as the BEIS 2050 Calculator refresh and the Innovate UK-sponsored Energy System Readiness Level project
We are collaborating openly with a wide variety of organisations who share our vision for the future energy system to shape and deliver our programme.
If you would like to learn more about how SAF could work with your organisation, please get in touch.