Energy Systems Catapult is playing a central role providing independent Energy Insights and Evidence to help government, academia and businesses identify innovation priorities towards delivering a Net Zero economy.
Innovation is crucial to transforming the UK energy system to meet carbon reduction targets and achieve our clean growth ambitions. We aim to help businesses overcome systemic barriers and accelerate their products, services and value propositions to market.
The Energy Challenge and Opportunity
Transforming the UK energy system to be clean, secure and affordable will require innovation across a range of technologies at multiple scales. Understanding the potential impact of innovation requires detailed technical knowledge of individual solutions, but also a view of how they might impact – and be impacted by – developments in the wider energy system.
For the Catapult, a whole system perspective must consider:
- Energy use and energy efficiency in buildings, transport and industry
- Energy conversion steps including power, heat, hydrogen, biofuels
- Energy resources such as renewables, biomass, nuclear and strategic use of fossil fuels
- Multiple scales from national, regional and local, through to individual estates and buildings
- Multiple lenses such as technological, economic, regulatory, policy and social.
As an expert, independent, technology-agnostic organisation, Energy Systems Catapult is uniquely placed to utilise our strong portfolio of energy capabilities, assets and highly skilled experts to provide energy sector stakeholders with Insights and Evidence that help to transform the energy system at least cost.
Our whole systems analysis service brings together specialist expertise across multiple technology areas, combining this with a whole energy system modelling capability. Our models include the Energy Systems Modelling Environment (ESME) for national and regional energy system planning, EnergyPath Networks for local energy system planning; along with a suite of supplementary models providing enhanced analysis around specific aspects of the energy system.
The Catapult works closely with government, academia and industry, to develop and disseminate Insights and Evidence that help innovators overcome the technical, regulatory, economic and social barriers blocking routes to market.
Energy Insights and Evidence Includes:
- Energy Systems Catapult has one to one and institutional relationships, through the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and UK Energy Research Centre (UKERC), with the academic community.
- The Catapult is consulting with industry to design an enduring industry engagement model at senior levels within the private sector, including SMEs. These formal stakeholder engagement practices will be reinforced by adopting, for example, the specialist strategy advisory group (SAG) mechanism that the Energy Technologies Institute developed to enable free exchange of innovation thinking with subject matter experts from industry and academia.
- The Innovating to Net Zero project – that modelled 100s of potential decarbonisation pathways to 2050 – ramping up or down different technologies and behaviour changes – to understand the combinations, interactions and trade-offs of competing approaches to achieving Net Zero.
From improving operational systems to providing real time support, we can provide a range of Service Platforms that are a route for innovators and other energy sector stakeholders to work with the Catapult and access our unique Capabilities and Assets.
For more information, please: Get in touch