An Introductory Guide to the GB Energy Industry: Chapter 1 – The importance of the GB energy sector
‘An Introductory Guide to the GB Energy Industry’ is a series of eight separate chapters commissioned by Energy Systems Catapult and Energy Innovation Centre. This is Chapter 1 – The Importance of the GB Energy Sector.
It provides a succinct overview of the current structure, key players, and emerging trends of this rapidly evolving market. It is aimed at those new to the sector, those looking for a broader perspective and those with sector experience looking to consolidate their understanding.
Sections in chapter one include;
- The energy sector and the economy
- The process of liberalisation
- The role of the regulator Ofgem
- Maintaining the “rule books” and licensing
- License exemptions
GB Energy Guide
The guide won’t make you an expert in 40 pages, but it will give you a clearer picture of the current state of the market. We have provided eight key sections detailing the key areas of the market. These are:
- The importance of the gas and electricity markets to the wider economic and regulatory landscape
- Electricity market structure
- Gas market structure
- Energy market design for electricity and gas and the importance of wholesale trading
- GB energy networks
- Energy policy
- The role of the energy supplier
- Emerging trends and the future of the GB gas and electricity markets
Chapter 1 of the guide is focused on: The Importance of the GB Energy Sector.
The complete guide will also be available as a PDF download once all of the chapters have been released.
Each section has been authored by a subject expert from Cornwall Energy.