Managing collaborative, complex innovation trials that tackle the hardest challenges on the way to Net Zero
Scaling innovation to accelerate Net Zero
Energy Systems Catapult works with industry, academia, and national and local governments to deliver complex energy innovation programmes and projects focused on the clean energy transition.
Taking creative approach to overcoming barriers to innovation; acting where existing markets are not achieving decarbonisation goals and focus on solutions that can be scaled up to have a national impact.
We work collaboratively across the sector partners to scope, develop, identify funding and deliver innovation projects and programmes with a focus on:
- Decarbonisation of domestic and non-domestic buildings
- Development of Energy as a Service applications
- Delivery of targeted retrofit measures for energy efficient, low carbon heating
- Energy systems integration (connected homes, heat and EV)
- Application of aggregation and digitalisation as an enabler for flexibility.
Managing Large Scale Trials
We deliver large, complex, innovative, multi-capability decarbonisation projects on time and on budget.
A proven track record of leading complex consortia, using an agile approach to manage the uncertainty related to innovation, while calling upon the specialist, expert capabilities of the wider Energy Systems Catapult.
What we offer
Energy Systems Catapult draws trusted experience and a range of expertise, models, tools and labs to deliver large scale innovation trials.
Quick, safe and affordable. Rapidly design, market-test and launch innovative energy products, services and business models with real people in over 500 connected homes.
Consumer Insight & Proposition Design
Energy market research, user experience (UX) and service design, and consumer trials. Helping innovators see beyond what people say to understand what they do.
Business Model Innovation
Well-designed business models help companies to de-risk new innovations, streamline operations and maximise the value they create for customers.
Harnessing Digital and Data
Utilise a range of services, tools and expertise, such as data science, algorithms and artificial intelligence or access existing consumer and technical data.
Whole Systems Modelling
Modelling the complex interactions between the physical, digital and market systems, across power, gas, heat, and transport, from generation to consumers and at the level of home, locally and nationally.
Markets, Policy and Regulation
Independent thought leadership combining expertise in clean tech, economics and energy policy design, informed by cutting-edge modelling and evidence-based analysis.
Dynamic Energy System Simulation
Utilising our groundbreaking EnergyPath® Operations simulation tool to assess system design choices, business models and digital solutions for future system architectures.
Skills and Training for Net Zero Homes
Accelerating the market for zero carbon skills and training to drive an unparalleled upgrading of UK housing stock and heating systems.
Applying world-class systems thinking to the hardest Net Zero challenges across Government, industry and communities
Modern Energy Partners
Modern Energy Partners (MEP) was a two-year, £20million innovation pilot exploring how to decarbonise complex sites across the public sector estate to help Government reduce carbon emissions by 50% by 2032.
The project was a collaborative cross-departmental programme, coordinated and delivered by Energy Systems Catapult and funded by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and the Cabinet Office, with additional match funding from pathfinder sites.
MEP investigated a test bed of 42 sites responsible for over 4 million tCO2e carbon emissions – equating to 3.2% of Ministry of Defence (MOD), 13% of Ministry of Justice (MOJ) and 3.5% of NHS sites, including three pathfinder sites:
- HM Sheppey Prison Cluster
- HMS Collingwood – Royal Navy base
- NHS Goole and District Hospital
MEP developed Public Sector Decarbonisation Guidance – systematic, repeatable and scalable approaches to decarbonising sites. Firstly, the rapid deployment of data gathering technologies and techniques to appraise the net zero potential of sites – including installing telemetry across 23 sites.
Secondly, a range of tools and templates allowing sites to develop decarbonisation plans – including plans for 24 sites to reduce emissions on average by 70% by 2032. Thirdly, MEP carried out initial carbon reduction works at the three pathfinder sites – including installing 21,515 LEDs light bulbs and smart Building Management Systems that now control 176,990 m2 of buildings.
Electrification of Heat
Energy Systems Catapult is management contractor for the £16.5 million Electrification of Heat (EoH) demonstration project on behalf of the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
The EoH project aims to overcome barriers to deployment and demonstrate the feasibility of a large-scale roll-out of heat pumps in Great Britain.
The Catatpult is managing three delivery contractors in three locations:
- South East of Scotland – lead delivery contractor Warmworks working with Energy Savings Trust and Changeworks.
- Newcastle – lead delivery contractor E.ON working with Newcastle City Council and Your Homes Newcastle.
- South East of England – lead delivery contractor Ovo Energy working with Kaluza, RetrofitWorks, Parity Projects and SunAmp.
The recruitment and installation phase of the EoH project ran from July 2020 through to October 2021, and despite the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic, 742 heat pumps were installed into a broad spectrum of housing types and socio-economic groups, that reflects a representative sample of households across Great Britain.
Outputs derived from the project will include:
- Evidence on heat pump suitability across a range of housing archetypes, including system and installation costs.
- Real-world performance data for heat pumps and demand profiles across a range of housing and consumer types.
- Insights found to inform future government policy in this area.
Watch the case study:
Smart Systems and Heat
Energy Systems Catapult delivered the £30m, five-year Smart Systems and Heat (SSH) programme between 2015 and 2019.
SSH Phase 1 – developed capabilities, tools and insights on:
- Local Energy Systems Modelling – we designed a planning framework to help local government, energy networks and other key local stakeholders plan for a low carbon future.
- Consumer-focused propositions – research revealing how the smart technology can help energy providers understand what consumers want from heating, turning passive bill-payers into discerning customers.
- Domestic energy services – we explored how profound changes in energy retail provision, such as selling Heat as a Service instead of purchasing of units of fuel, could drive the uptake of low carbon heating solutions.
SSH Phase 2 – developed capabilities, tools and insights on:
- Consumer trials of smart energy services – create the 100-home Living Lab test environment to investigate how consumers use heat and testing their interest in buying ‘heat as a service’.
- New business models and market structures – looking at new business models for energy services, the importance of interoperability and consumer protection, plus the policy and regulatory context.
- Local Area Energy Planning – took the local energy system modelling work and developed targeted, specific projects that demonstrate the ideas in practice, including Decarbonisation Strategies in the three local areas.
Energy Revolution Integration Service
Prospering from the Energy Revolution (PFER) was set up by government to design and develop approach to creating smart local energy systems. Energy Systems Catapult played a central role within PFER through the Energy Revolution Integration Service (ERIS), providing expert guidance and support to selected projects, as well as collaborative opportunities for shared learning, including:
- Helping prevent design and demonstration projects falling into the “valley of death” typically experienced by technology demonstration programmes that address technological integration challenges
- Identifying and help PFER Projects resolve wider system issues such as consumer engagement, policy and regulatory alignment, data and communications interoperability, etc.
- Facilitating knowledge sharing with the PFER participants and the wider system stakeholders generate evidence-based insight reports to inform decision makers
- Providing whole system integration services to the PFER design and demonstration projects
ERIS delivered a range outputs to support decarbonisation of local places, including:
- Net Zero Go – a unique, powerful, easy-to-use digital platform bringing together all the tools and support that local authorities need to develop successful, locally-focused zero carbon projects.
- ZeroCarbon.Vote – a pioneering online consultation tool designed to help local authorities and businesses put people at the heart of the energy system transformation.
- Enabling Smart Local Energy Systems – Supporting the creation of Smart Local Energy Systems to attract innovative low carbon businesses, infrastructure, investment and jobs.
How to work with us
We are not-for-profit, independent and technology-agnostic – building a trusted track record of delivering thought leadership, collaborative R&D and commercial commissions – so are uniquely placed to take on the challenges that others cannot tackle.
Collaborate with us: We work with partners from the public and private sectors to secure funding and collectively deliver the innovation projects and thought leadership that tackle the hardest challenges in the way to Net Zero.
Commission us: We offer independent support, evidence and insights – with technical, commercial and policy expertise – to identify and deliver Net Zero innovation priorities. Then actively support clients to develop actionable plans for implementation.
If you are interested in working with us, contact us by completing the form and one of the team will be in touch.Contact us
Want to know more?
Find out more about how Energy Systems Catapult can help you and your teams
Get in touch
Want to know more?
Find out more about how Energy Systems Catapult can help you and your teams