Working with partners across the whole energy system to tackle the hardest challenges on the way to Net Zero
How to work with us
Energy Systems Catapult offers technical, commercial and policy expertise to drive Net Zero innovation across the whole energy system.
We are not-for-profit, independent and technology-agnostic – so are uniquely placed to help UK innovators take on the challenges that others cannot or will not tackle.
As a natural convener – we bring together a range of stakeholders, from government and industry, academia and consultancies, to corporate enterprises and SMEs to create new markets that unleash innovation.
We use our grant-funding to develop capabilities, tools and labs that bridges the gap between government, academia and industry.
From world-class Net Zero modelling and cutting-edge systems engineering – through to digital and data science and real-world innovation trials that drive start-ups to success.
Energy Systems Catapult has built a trusted track record in delivering thought leadership, collaborative R&D and (where needed) commercial commissioning.
Collaborate with us
We work with partners from the public and private sectors to secure funding and deliver the thought leadership and innovation projects that tackle the hardest challenges in the way to Net Zero.
We offer technical, commercial and policy expertise to deliver the independent evidence, insights and active support to unleash Net Zero innovation.
Are you an Innovator?
Whether you are a start-up innovator or aiming to scale-up your business for markets in the UK or abroad, we offer an unmatched collection of technical, commercial and policy capabilities, tools and expertise to turboboost your chances of success.
- Universal support – we offer free support to help you better understand the challenges and capitalise on opportunities within the energy innovation landscape, including: guides, insights & data; access to events & workshops; and sign-posting to funding calls, investors & international opportunities.
- Incubation & Acceleration – Energy Launchpad & International can provide you with ‘hands on’ incubation support drawing on experts from across Energy Systems Catapult and our partners, or help you to accelerate and de-risk commercialisation to secure customers, attract investment, and scale-up your business.
- Test & demonstration – we offer a range of test and demonstration environments to suit your needs, from cutting-edge simulation tools that can rapidly gauge product performance, insights from our 5,000 strong consumer panel, through to real-world trials in our Living Lab of over 1,700 homes.
Do you work for a Network Operator?
We help Networks succeed in the future energy system with whole-systems expertise, trusted and independent insights, and bespoke practical solutions.
- Seize your systems future – deliver trusted whole systems insights to help you future-proof assets, develop new business models and maintain operability right to the edge of your network and to consumers beyond.
- Navigate systems complexity – our unique blend of technology, digital and systems integration expertise, couple with access to cutting-edge innovators helps networks identify emerging challenges and solutions for the Net Zero transition.
- Invest confidently in local infrastructure – we support better local decision-making, in step with regional and national strategies, with our pioneering Local Area Energy Planning, independent evidence and stakeholder alignment.
- Deliver a just transition – our leading Fair Futures programme delivers innovation, trials and evidence to help Networks support low income and vulnerable consumers.
Do you work for an Energy Retailer?
We support Energy Retailers to future-proof your businesses through independent whole systems expertise and bespoke services that help de-risk business model innovation.
- De-risk your future – our independent whole systems insights and trusted expertise in markets, policy & regulations, can help you create actionable plans that enable your business to de-risk complex decisions and long-term investments in Net Zero technologies, systems, operations, markets and infrastructure.
- Deliver a just transition – our leading Fair Futures programme delivers innovation, trials and evidence can help you support low income and vulnerable consumers.
- Navigate digital complexity – we can help you drive the digital transformation required to deliver Net Zero and delivering corporate digitalisation plans that unlock innovation for energy retailers.
- Test and demonstration – new service offerings that accelerate UK homes to Net Zero are emerging across the energy retail landscape.
Do you operate Industrial Sites?
We are supporting the decarbonisation of industrial sites and clusters by harnessing our expertise working directly with industry, coupled with our trailblazing work decarbonising the public sector to ensure you benefit from the latest best practice and innovation.
- Decarbonising Industrial sites – we help you find the opportunities in the difficult challenge of decarbonisation. Working together with site operators, we develop methods that minimise cost, employ the right technologies, and support the business case for sustainable, seamless, Net Zero sites. By taking on the challenges that others can’t, and fusing the best of government, industry and research, we turbocharge your progress.
- Driving real-world impact with Data you can depend on – for successful decarbonisation, you need a deep understanding of how estates are performing. We use reliable, real-world data to build better solutions, driving decarbonisation best practice and unlocking progress. And by sharing our trusted data with innovators and those delivering decarbonisation projects, we can support the success and scale needed to realise the UK’s Net Zero ambitions.
Do you work for a Local Authority?
We empower Local Authorities for Net Zero action providing the plans, projects, approaches and partners needed to decarbonise our local places.
Over 80% of local authorities in the UK have declared a climate emergency, with most targeting Net Zero before 2050. Yet few have a clear plan on how to get there, what needs to be done in what order, or which technologies and infrastructure to invest in.
Energy Systems Catapult are experts in local energy system decarbonisation, so whatever stage you’re at in your Net Zero journey, talk to us about how we can help you.
- Step 1: Define your Net Zero baseline – find out what energy assets are in your area already? Local Energy Asset Representation.
- Step 2: Put a Net Zero action plan in place – our pioneering Local Area Energy Planning approach will model the scenarios and determine the most cost effective route to achieve your Net Zero target.
- Step 3: Identify locations for your Net Zero projects – need to identify locations for your projects? We’ve developed a series of datasets that identify suitable locations for the most common local authority project type. Browse our Net Zero Data.
- Step 4: Deliver the Net Zero projects in your plan – need help preparing for funding calls or developing your projects? Net Zero Go is trusted by hundreds of local authority officers to provide guidance, tools and templates, plus access to others that have been there, done it.
Do you work in Government or the Public Sector?
We support Central & Devolved Governments with the evidence, insights and innovations to incentivise Net Zero action.
- Navigate the complexity of the Net Zero transition – with our unique blend of independent whole systems modelling, systems engineering and innovation expertise, we provide you with the evidence and insights needed to understand the pathways available to reach Net Zero.
- Design and test policy and regulations – we work with Government, regulators and industry to develop practical, solution-focused market design, policy, and regulatory options and then test them with real people in real homes under controlled conditions.
- Local energy transition – our pioneering work in delivering Net Zero action in local places, allows us to aggregate the local picture and inform your wider decision-making on policy, infrastructure and progress to Net Zero.
- Decarbonising public sector sites – our Public Sector Decarbonisation Guidance provides you with a consistent, cost-effective approach to cut emissions.
- Delivering a just energy transition – by championing and trialling approaches that support low income and vulnerable consumers.
Are you a Green Finance Innovator?
To achieve the transition to Net Zero homes, new propositions that empower and financially support consumers to undertake retrofit measures are needed. With longstanding experience in home energy innovation, our unique range of tools and services can help you unlock barriers and set up your Green Finance solution for success. Work with us to increase your chances of securing customers, investment, and business growth.
- Working with the Supply Chain – whether you are a start-up innovator, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), financial institution or an energy supplier introducing a new service, we can help you de-risk your Green Finance product with technical, commercial and regulatory due-diligence.
- Wide range of expertise – we provide expert evaluation, business model development, home simulation environments and consumer insight with access to real-world test and demonstrate opportunities within our Living Lab.
Want to know more?
Find out more about how Energy Systems Catapult can help you and your teams
Get in touch
Want to know more?
Find out more about how Energy Systems Catapult can help you and your teams