For the UK to meet carbon reduction targets and achieve clean growth ambitions, the transformation of the energy system needs to consider the integration of the physical, digital and market systems.
Energy systems integration includes the incorporation of previously separate energy systems as well as market and internal systems.
Energy Systems Catapult applies the principles of systems engineering to help define a future energy system alongside government, regulators, academia and industry; and works with businesses to help them integrate new products and services to open markets, focus investments, create jobs and deliver export opportunities.
The Energy Integration Challenge and Opportunity
Transforming the UK energy system to be clean, secure and affordable requires integrating and optimising solutions and innovations from a range of previously separate systems including power, heat, transportation systems, and across the physical, digital and market systems.
To effectively integrate systems, solutions must be considered from all relevant aspects – technology, people, policies, regulation, business models, market mechanisms and much more. It is also important to compare a range of concepts and innovations to find the appropriate balance between opportunity and risk, considering the views of all relevant parties, and managing the inevitable conflict between them.
Our Capabilities and Assets
Our Systems Integration team offers a number of assets:
- Systems Engineering and Integration – bringing together all the elements, activities and viewpoints of a problem and delivering a system to solve it – optimising for performance, schedule and cost. From requirements capture, through systems design, integration and test, to training, operation, support and disposal.
- Business Model Innovation – driving innovation in business modelling to unlock value and support credible, investable routes to market. Helping identify, validate and test the viability of business models and business processes.
- Energy System Integration Guides – developing a cohesive set of integration guides to help innovators integrate new products and energy services, to open markets and create jobs.
- Dynamic Energy System Architecting – a method for industry, academics and government to co-develop a future GB energy system architecture, that brings together physical, market and information technology systems, services, and people into a coherent whole.
- Dynamic Energy System Simulation – development and use of the EnergyPath® Operations simulation tool to assess system design choices, business models and information technology solutions in g simulated future system architectures – in operational time-frames and from local to national scale.
- Future Power System Architecture – identifying the new capabilities required by the electricity system by 2030 and the associated implementation challenges.
Our Approach to Energy Systems
As an expert, independent, technology-agnostic organisation, Energy Systems Catapult is uniquely placed to help define options for a future energy system that integrates the disparate physical, digital and market systems, against the background of rapid technological and societal change.
Through a structured approach to managing risk, lowering costs and accelerating implementation, we have developed a range of capabilities and assets, expertise, tools, and methods that support the full lifespan of an integrated system solution.
We have developed a range of unique Capabilities and Assets to help innovators, SMEs, industry, academia, regulators and Government to transform the UK energy system to meet carbon reduction targets and achieve our clean growth ambitions.
Discover our wide range of capabilities here.