Amp X is developing a digital energy services platform focused on autonomy, machine-learning, advanced data analytics and control systems – aiming to unlock flexibility to provide cost and carbon savings for consumers and improved grid resilience and stability.
Energy Systems Catapult is working with Amp X via the Energy Launchpad to provide market, regulatory and consumer insights, a digital fitness assessment, business modelling and commercial expertise.
The Amp X Energy Innovation
One of the technologies that Amp X has developed is a behind-the-meter digital energy assistant (ALICE – Agent for Lifestyle-based Intelligent Control of Energy), that allows consumers to shift energy use to times of the day or night when cost and carbon intensity are lower.
Unlike some “smart” thermostats and energy management systems on the market, which require significant and regular user involvement before automation, the Amp X technology uses advanced analytics, artificial intelligence and user-centred autonomous control to determine the optimum schedule.
ALICE takes the user’s preferences into account (e.g. electric vehicle charging times, target temperatures or washing machine finish times, etc.) and flexes demand (and generation where applicable) in response to market signals such as variable time-of-use tariff, measures of energy mix carbon intensity, or a network operator call for flexibility services to manage grid constraints.
Edinburgh-based Amp X wants to develop a fully transactive grid that facilitates peer-to-peer energy trading in local energy markets, unlocks flexibility to improve grid resilience and avoids reinforcement costs, maximises the use of renewable energy and gives consumers greater control over cost and carbon.
Challenges that Amp X face to achieve these aims include:
- Time of use tariffs – are key but consumer uptake to date has been relatively low. Only the most active and engaged consumers can realise significant savings and avoid higher charges because of (inadvertent) energy use at the time of peak prices. Amp X’s technology enables the least engaged to enjoy the benefit of the most engaged and maximise ToU tariff value.
- Customer Value Proposition – will be dependent on the potential cost and carbon savings and secondary benefits such as optimal monitoring/control of appliances.
- Energy Market Insight and Strategy – successfully scaling-up will depend on identifying the right target markets and the go-to-market strategy.
The Innovative Solution
Energy Systems Catapult is home to the Energy Launchpad, which provides carefully selected innovators with tailored business incubation and acceleration support to help address barriers to growth, de-risk innovation, scale-up the business and secure investment.
Tailored support for selected SMEs utilising the Catapult assets and capabilities, and delivery partner offerings, such as business model development, energy system integration assessment, consumer insights guidance, digital fitness, market testing and validation, investor readiness, specialist advice, as well as identification for Acceleration support.
Energy Systems Catapult and its partners will deliver:
- Market Insight: Market segmentation analysis, identifying market opportunities, size, demand drivers for this product.
- Business Model Innovation: Reviewing Customer Value Proposition and existing business model.
- Route to Market Analysis: Value chain analysis of the preferred route, partnering and scaling opportunities.
- Consumer Insight: Review of the products User Interface and develop suitable protocols for future trials.
- Policy and Regulation: Provide an overview of the UK energy regulations, such as flexibility & aggregation, that would impact on the business model and recommendations for their inclusion and/or mitigation.
- Digital Energy Fitness Assessment: Review the data strategy being used within the business model, identify what other sources of data could be integrated into it and the likely revenue benefits. Review the digital strategy for the product and recommend the design strategy for the data points, data types and instrumentation options.
- Living Lab: Amp X will trial their ALICE autonomous, digital energy assistant in 50 Living Lab homes to better understand the consumer experience and preferences when living with the technology.
We’re here to help accelerate the UK’s energy transition. Discover our range of service platforms to help innovators access our extensive set of insights and evidence, collaborate on projects, or test, integrate and scale new products, services and business models.