SURVEY: Data science skills in the energy sector
Digitalisation of the energy sector provides vast opportunities to help support the transition to Net Zero.
Innovative sensors and monitoring equipment are producing ever-increasing amounts and varieties of data. This presents opportunities for data science and Artificial Intelligence to create new products and solutions which will increase the value of the data collected.
Energy Systems Catapult has created a questionnaire for data scientists to understand the current landscape of data science and analytical skills across the energy sector. This will help us to understand what is being applied, what is going well, what is more challenging, and what areas it would be useful to have more support, including questions such as:
- How are data science teams most commonly organised?
- Is this meeting the requirements of the organisations?
- What skills are in short supply (or oversupplied)?
- What are some of the best qualities of a data science lead?
- What are the best ways of keeping data science skills and training up to date?
With enough participation, the outputs from this questionnaire will provide a greater understanding of how we can better facilitate advanced analytics and smarter operations within the energy sector.
We will collate (but anonymise) information from this survey to generate a public white paper/report on the data science skills landscape across the energy sector.