Determine your digital readiness to navigate the transformation of the energy system to Net Zero
Assess your digital readiness to navigate to Net Zero
Transforming the UK energy system for Net Zero, will be driven as much by the growing market for digitalisation and data, as by legislated carbon reduction targets.
After leading the Energy Data Taskforce for the UK Government and the follow-on Energy Data Taskforce, Energy Systems Catapult realised the need to develop comprehensive assessment framework for determining the digital fitness of energy sector businesses – akin to technology readiness levels – as the energy system becomes increasingly digitalised.
- Digital Energy Fitness Assessment – measures the digital readiness of energy sector businesses across five categories:
- Digital Infrastructure
- Insight & Value-Add
Equiwatt incentivises consumers to save energy at peak times through an app-based rewards scheme, by using smart meter data to monitor household energy use and automatically turn-off appliances to reduce demand during peak times.
The Newcastle-based innovator needed help preparing for an investment round and to scale up their customer base.
Energy Systems Catapult through our Energy Launchpad carried out a Digital Energy Fitness Assessment, along with reviews of their Business Model, their Policy and Regulatory landscape, Consumer Insight and support with investor readiness.
Equiwatt found the inclusion of an independent Digital Energy Fitness Assessment was a crucial factor in helping secure over £300,000 in investment to progress scale up plans through a funding round involving the North East Venture Fund.
Senergy developed a solar thermal panel designed to deliver affordable heating. Unlike solar PV made from glass, copper and aluminium components, Senergy’s panels are 100% polymer plastic – increasing their thermal efficiency whilst reducing delivery and installation costs.
Currently, Senergy operate as a manufacturer, selling panels as part of a building’s heating system. However, recognising the value of the panel’s aesthetic and structural properties, provides an opportunity to adapt their commercialisation strategy to reach other target markets both in the UK and abroad.
Energy Systems Catapult worked with Senergy via our Energy Launchpad, including:
- Home Energy Dynamics – using our ground-breaking simulation tool, our Modelling experts helped validate the performance of the product with a range of housing types and occupancy profiles to understand the value proposition and economic benefits.
- Digital Energy Fitness Assessment – our Digital and Data team assessed the digital readiness of both the innovation and the business
- Business Model Innovation – our experts helped to refine their business model, how they pitch to customers and developed their route to various markets.
Energy Systems Catapult’s support helped Senergy to:
- Validate a plan to compete like-for-like with solar PV, and to integrate the product with other technologies, such as heat pumps and thermal batteries to help reduce heating costs during the winter period.
- Progress the TRL of their product from 4 to 6.
- Win three new pilot customers to carry out demonstrations.
- Find new partners to collaborate, integrating the product into complete home heating solutions.
- Secure £130,000 of funding to invest in progressing the TRL towards commercialisation and build internal capabilities to become investor ready.
Determine the digital readiness of your business to navigate the transformation of the energy system to Net Zero with a Digital Energy Fitness Assessment.Contact us